Pizza is a STAPLE at my house.
And all over the world. 🌍
But it’s no where near as popular as it is in Italy.
The story goes that Margherita Pizza was invented in 1889 as a gift for the queen consort of Italy, Margherita of Savoy.
They called it “Pizza Margherita” and it included tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil, which were to represent the colors of the Italy flag.
I added a couple extra things besides the basics because sometimes you need to be a little fancy. 🍕
Makes 2 pizzas
1 cup warm water at about 100F
2 tsp active yeast
1 tsp organic sugar
1 tbsp EVOO ( plus more for coating dough and bowl)
2 tsp salt
3 cups “00” Flour or AP flour
1 cup San Marzano tomatoes, crushed
2 cloves garlic, minced + divided
5 oz buffalo mozzarella, chopped into 1/2 inch cubes
6 basil leaves, juilanned
1 cup organic spinach
1 tbsp EVOO
2 tbsp Parmesan, grated
pinch red pepper flakes
drizzle of balsamic glaze (I used Colavita brand)
1. Start by putting the warm water, yeast and sugar into the bowl of a stand mixer. Let set for 5 minutes to become frothy.
2. Blend in the oil and salt. Slowly mix in the flour. Once flour is incorporated, knead the dough on med speed for about 9 minutes.
3. Cover dough in EVOO, put into medium size bowl that also has been oiled. Cover with a kitchen towel and set in a warm place for an hour. It should double in size. Preheat oven to 450F.
4. After an hour is up and dough is risen, pour it onto a floured surface and cut dough into 2. Roll each into a ball.
5. Gently roll each ball into a 10 inch circle. Careful to move the dough a little after each roll of the rolling pin.
6. Grease a sheet pan with a little EVOO and place the dough on the pan. Spread a little more EVOO on top of the crust. Put in oven for 5 mins.
7. Rub Spinach with 1 tbsp EVOO and minced garlic. Take dough out of oven and add tomatoes, cheeses, and top with spinach mixture. Put back into oven for 10 mins or so. Once done, drizzle with Balsalmic glaze and sprinkle on red pepper flakes. Nom!